Dithridge & Co.
Edward Dithridge, inventor and glass manufacturer, was
born in Birmingham, England, August 22, 1804, and emigrated
to the United States in 1812. Both his father and grandfather
were skilled workmen in glass who found employment at Bakewell
Page & Co. until the remaining members of the
family joined the trio in Pittsburgh in 1815.
Pittsburgh's Glass Industry
Dithridge attended school until 1817 and then worked for one year at Doddridge & Co’ glass works in Wellsburg, Ohio. He joined the Old Union Rolling Mill Co. in 1819 and three years later moved with his parents to New York City where he worked for nine years and invested in a cooperative glass company in Baltimore that went bankrupt.
Edward and his father then returned to Pittsburgh and entered the glass works of Curling, Higby & Curling at the Fort Pitt Glass Works. Eventually Edward was admitted into the partnership of Curling, Robertson & Co., although the glass house business was dissolved in 1860. Dithridge leased the works a year later, and received a patent in 1861 for an oval lamp chimney which Dithridge & Co. manufactured.
Dithridge on his deathbed admonished his sons, “never to change the formula.” Edward, Jr., owned a glass factory at Martins Ferry, Ohio, and moved his operations to New Brighton in 1887 where he continued to manufacture glass chimneys.
Dithridge & Co. closed its doors in 1900.