Atterbury Glass Co. 1860 - 1893
James and Thomas Atterbury joined brother-in-law James Hale to form Hale & Atterbury In 1860. The grandsons of Sarah Atterbury Bakewell (sister of Benjamin Bakewell and founder of Bakewell’s Glass Company), opened their White House Factory at Carson and McKee streets in Pittsburgh’s South Side. Hale was the firm’s glassblower. He was replaced two years later by James Reddick who left Atterbury in 1864. The company’s name thus was changed from Hale, Atterbury & Co., to Atterbury, Reddick & Co. , then Atterbury & Co. before finally bearing the name Atterbury Glass Co. in 1893.
Atterbury & Co. made a variety of items—tableware, bar bottles, covered dishes and lamps. Its covered dishes made out of opal or milk glass featured animal designs--rabbits, ducks, chicks, bulls and boars heads. An industry leader in the manufacture of lamps, the firm won an award in 1876 at Philadelphia’s Centennial Exhibition for its lamp chimneys and globes. Thomas Atterbury was the principal inventor in the firm. His name appears on at least 110 patents (71 for inventions and 39 for designs). The design for a screw socket that connects the base and font of kerosene lamps is one patent the firm is famous for as well as a patent for pressed glassware that incorporates a figure on the bottom which can be painted to resemble a cameo.
Atterbury remained an independent factory until 1903.