small text medium text large text

St. Paul's Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum of Pittsburgh

Established - 1838
Closed - 1965
1st site - Second Avenue (girls)
2nd site - Coal Lane/Webster Avenue (girls) and Pius Street (boys)
3rd site - Tannehill Street (Hill District) (1866)
4th site - Noblestown Road (Crafton/Idlewood)
Also Known As:
St. Paul's Female Orphan Asylum (Webster Avenue and Chatham Street) (1843)
St. Paul's Male Orphan Asylum (Pius Street - Birmingham) (1851)
St. Paul's Orphan Society
Holy Family Institute
Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph (Emmitsburg, Frederick County, MD)
Sponsoring Agency:
Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh
Sisters of Charity (1843)
Sisters of Mercy (1845)
Some larger boys were temporarily housed at a farm in Lawrence County cared for by Franciscan Brothers in 1849.
The large boys were sent to a farm in Cameron Bottom with the Franciscans in 1861.
Accepted soldiers' orphans.
In 1904, Catholic children were removed from non-Catholic institutions and placed either in St. Joseph's Protectory or St. Paul's Orphan Asylum.
Merged with Holy Family Institute in 1965.
Location of Records:
Archives & Record Center Diocese of Pittsburgh
1010 McNeilly Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15226
Phone 412-456-3158 email:
PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
Pittsburgh Photographic Library (Social Services - 1)
1839 Pittsburgh and Allegheny City Directory
1844 Pittsburgh and Allegheny City Directory
1895 Greater Pittsburg Handbook
1933 Directory of Social Agencies
1943 Directory of Social Resources
1965 Directory of Health and Welfare Services
Pennsylvania's Soldiers' Orphan Schools...With Names of Pupils Subjoined (1876), pp. 339-340
Catholic Pittsburgh's One Hundred Years, pp. 33, 45, 55, 63, 112-113, 129, 171, 183, 185, 191
The Little Orphan (Dec. 23, 1869 - Jan. 29, 1870)
1870 Census - Pittsburgh - Ward 8 - pp. 137-142 - for list of orphans
1880 Census - Allegheny County - ED-115, Sheet 12, Line 13 - for list of orphans