St. Joseph's Protectory for Homeless Boys
- Established - April 19, 1893
- Closed - 1950-56 ?
- 1st site - Vine Street (Hill District)
- 2nd site - 552 Vallejo Street
- 3rd site - 552 Protectory Place
- Also Known As:
- Bishop Richard Phelan
- Sponsoring Agency:
- Franciscan Brothers
- Brothers of Our Lady of Lourdes
- Diocesan Clergy
- Industrial home for boys.
- The first trade, printing, was introduced in 1896.
- In 1904, Catholic children were removed from non-Catholic
institutions and placed either in St. Joseph's Protectory or St. Paul's
- Location of Records:
- At least some of the records of the St. Joseph's Protectory are held
by the Catholic Archives. These include a list of the boys, plus physical
description, training, reason for entrance to the home, and where they
worked following release.
- Archives & Record Center Diocese of Pittsburgh
1010 McNeilly Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15226
Phone 412-456-3158 email: email@example.com
- PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
- 1895 Greater Pittsburg Handbook
- 1933 Directory of Social Agencies
- 1943 Directory of Social Resources
- 1950 Directory of Community Services
- Catholic Pittsburgh's One Hundred Years, pp. 55, 63, 182-83, 185