St. Joseph's German Orphan Asylum
- Established - 1849
- Closed - 1938
- 1st site - Fourteenth Street and Liberty Avenue - St. Philomena's Church
- 2nd site - Troy Hill Road (Allegheny City - 1853) (Burned in 1854)
- 3rd site - temporary shelter
- 4th site - Troy Hill location
- Also Known As:
- St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum
- German Roman Catholic St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum of Allegheny County
- School Sisters of Notre Dame
- Sponsoring Agency:
- Men's Conference of St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum
- Twenty-four orphans entered the new orphanage in 1853; it burned in 1854.
- New building was built on the same site; an addition was added in 1870.
- Mortuary Chapel and cemetery adjoined the asylum.
- Half orphans outnumbered those deprived of both parents.
- A German newspaper, Der Republikaner, was published for the benefit
of the asylum and as a source on income.
- Now North Catholic High School which opened in 1939.
- Location of Records:
- Archives & Record Center Diocese of Pittsburgh
1010 McNeilly Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15226
Phone 412-456-3158 email: email@example.com
- PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
- Pittsburgh Photographic Library (1)
- 1895 Greater Pittsburg Handbook
- 1937 Directory of Social Agencies
- 1940 Directory of Social Agencies
- Catholic Pittsburgh's One Hundred Years , pp. 34 and 112