small text medium text large text

Protestant Home for Boys

Dates:
Established - June, 1886
Closed - after 1953
Locations:
1st site - 203 Anderson and Robinson Streets (Allegheny City) (1908)
2nd site - 719 Irwin Street (Allegheny City)
3rd site - 719 Brighton Road (North Side)
4th site - 330 East North Avenue (North Side) (1913)
Also Known As:
Holmes Hall for Boys (by 1916)
Founder:
Jane Holmes - lived at 409 Penn Avenue - died in her 81st year on May 3, 1885
Sponsoring Agency:
Notes:
Established with money from the estate of Miss Jane Holmes.
Boys ages 14 - 21 - especially intended for boys who must leave the Orphan Homes on account of age and for strangers in the city whose friends desire to have thrown around them the restraints and advantages of a Christian home.
One building was formerly used by the Young Women's Boarding Home.
Location of Records:
Unknown
Sources:
PA Department Vertical Files (Biographies - Holmes)
1895 Greater Pittsburg Handbook **(r917.4886 K17)**
Directory of Institutions in Pennsylvania, 1916, p. 58 **(r361 P3993)**
Directory of the Philanthropic Agencies of the City of Pittsburgh, 1908, 1913, 1923 **(r361 K27)**
1933 Directory of Service Agencies
1943 Directory of Social Resources
1953 Community Resources Directory
History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Vol. 1, p. 710 **(rF159 .A4 H6 1977x)**