The Orphans' Home and Farm School of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Established - April, 1852 / Opened - May 8, 1854
- Closed - ?
- 1st site - Several temporary sites in Allegheny City and in Pittsburgh
- 2nd site - Zelienople (Butler County) - Farm School for Boys (1854)
- 3rd site - Rochester (Beaver County) - Orphans Home for Girls (1862-1895)
- Also Known As:
- Pittsburgh Orphans' Home (Zelienople) - 1863
- Lutheran Children's Home of Zelienople (1963-1988)
- Lutheran Youth and Family Services
- Glade Run Lutheran Services
- Rev. Dr. William Passavant
- Rev. Gottlieb Bassler
- Sponsoring Agency:
- Institution of Protestant Deaconesses of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
- Pittsburgh Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (1931)
- Pittsburgh Synod of the United Lutheran Church
- Western Pennsylvania-West Virginia Synod of the Lutheran Church of
- Accepted soldiers' orphans.
- Purchased 25 acres in Zelienople in September, 1852.
- Home in Zelienople opened for boys on May 8, 1854.
- Purchased 75 acres in Rochester in 1861 for girls.
- In 1894, the girls moved from Rochester to Zelienople.
- Location of Records:
- Zelienople Historical Society
- 243 S. Main Street
- Zelienople, PA 16063
- Phone: 724-452-9457
- PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages ; Youth Centers)
- Directory of the Philanthropic, Social and Civic Agencies of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, 1928. The Kingsley Association. rHV99 .P65 W48 1928
- A Directory of the Social Resources of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County.
- Pittsburgh, Pa.: Federation of Social Agencies of Pittsburgh & Allegheny County, 1943.
rHV99 .P65 W48 1943
- Kuhns, Logan Luther.
- The Development of Children's Homes in Pennsylvania Under the Auspices of the United Lutheran Church in America. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh, 1949. rqHV990 .P4 K84 1949x
- Annual Report of the Superintendent of Soldiers' Orphans of Pennsylvania for the year...
And continued by
- Annual Report of the Pennsylvania Commission of Soldiers' Orphan Schools for the year ending...
[1867 - 1908] Microfilm P- 889
- Gerberding, G.H.
- Life and Letters of W. A. Passavant, D. D. Greenville, PA : The Young Lutheran Co., 1906. pp. 221-248 rBX8080 .P3 G4
- Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 21, no. 3, p. 29
- From the 1880 Census of Rochester Township, Beaver County showing names of the inhabitants of the Evangelical Lutheran Orphan's Home. They were all girls plus one boy.