small text medium text large text

J. M. Gusky Hebrew Orphanage and Home of Western Pennsylvania

Dates:
Established - 1891
Closed - 1943-1947?
Locations:
1st site - 3605 Perrysville Avenue
Also Known As:
Jewish Family and Children's Service
Founder:
Founded by Mrs. Esther Gusky in memory of her husband, Jacob M. Gusky, owner of the Gusky Department Store.
Sponsoring Agency:
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Pittsburg
Notes:
Location of Records:
Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center Library and Archives Division
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Phone: 412-454-6364.

Admissions Ledger
Contact Susan Melnick
Archivist, Rauh Jewish Archives
Phone: 412-454-6406
Sources:
PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
Pittsburgh Photographic Library (Social Settlements - 1)
1895 Greater Pittsburg Handbook
Directory of Institutions in Pennsylvania, 1916.rHV98 .P4 D575 1916 (Locked Case)
A Directory of the Social Resources of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, 1943.rHV99 .P65 W48 1943