small text medium text large text

Holy Family Institute

Dates:
Established - 1900
Closed -
Locations:
1st site - 201-263 Ohio River Blvd.
2nd site - 201-257 Beaver Avenue
3rd site - 8235 Ohio River Blvd. (Emsworth)
Also Known As:
Orphan Asylum of the Holy Family (1904)
Holy Family Institute (Jan. 29, 1931)
Founder:
Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth
Sponsoring Agency:
Notes:
Originally for Polish children deprived of their natural protection and supported by the Polish congregations of the diocese.
Formally incorporated Dec. 7, 1904 as the Orphan Asylum of the Holy Family.
Merged with St. Paul's Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum in 1965.
There was a fire in 1984; some records burned.
The Institute now focuses on community-based and educational outreach services.
Location of Records:
Holy Family Institute, 8235 Ohio River Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15202; 412-766-4030.
Sources:
PA Department Vertical Files (Youth Centers)
Pittsburgh Photographic Library (Social Services - 15)
Directory of the Institutions in Pennsylvania, 1916 **(r361 P3993)**
Directory of the Philanthropic Agencies of the City of Pittsburgh, 1908, 1913, 1917, 1923, 1928 **(r361 K27)**
1933 Directory of Social Agencies
1937 Directory of Social Agencies
1943 Directory of Social Resources
1968 Directory of Health and Welfare Services
 
Holy Family Institute, 1953

Holy Family Institute, 1953