All Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh locations will be closed on Monday, September 1.
Carmen Sylva Industrial Home
- Established - 1907
- Closed - ?
- 1st site - Shenango Twp. (Lawrence County)
- 2nd site - Wenzel Avenue near Shiras (Beechview)
- Also Known As:
- Carmen Sylva Love International Interdenominational Industrial Home
- Miss Margaret Muscan who served as a nurse in the Russo-Turkish War
- Sponsoring Agency:
- Carmen Sylva Undenominational Society of Greater Pittsburg
- May have been named after "Carmen Sylva" (1843-1916). She was
actually Elizabeth, a German princess and wife of King Carol I of Rumania.
She devoted herself to the care of the wounded in the Russo-Turkish War. She
was a poet and author who established hospitals and orphanages in Rumania.
- Location of Records:
- PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
- 1916 Directory of Institutions in Pennsylvania **(r361 P3993)**