small text medium text large text

Children's Home Society of Pennsylvania / Children's Home of Pittsburgh

Established - April 13, 1896
Closed - ?
1st site - Penn Avenue, Wilkinsburg
2nd site - 5439 Potter Street, Shadyside
3rd site - 135 Penwood Avenue, Edgewood (1912)
4th site - 467 South Aiken Avenue, Pittsburgh (1935)
5th site - 5618 Kentucky Avenue, Pittsburgh (1969)
6th site - 5324 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, 15224 (2007)
Also Known As:
The Pennsylvania Children's Home Society
The Children's Home of Pittsburgh (June 8, 1936)
The Children's Home of Pittsburgh & Lemieux Family Center (2007)
Rev. William Henry Thompson of McKeesport
Sponsoring Agency:
The Children's Home Society (Illinois / 1893)
Originally for the care and permanent placement of homeless and dependent children.
Originally affiliated with the Methodist Church.
In the 1930's, began to concentrate on the placement of infants.
Location of Records:
Children's Home of Pittsburgh
5324 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Phone: 412-441-4884
PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
Directory of Institutions in Pennsylvania, 1916. . rHV98 .P4 D575 1916 (Locked Case)
A Directory of the Social Resources of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, 1943. rHV99 .P65 W48 1943
A Directory of Community Services in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, 1947. 11th ed. rHV99 .P65 W48 11th ed. (Locked Case)
Where to Turn: The Directory of Health and Human Services for Allegheny County and the Surrounding Region. 25th ed. rHV99 .P65 W48 1994
Manges. Dana F. and Priscilla R. Ebert. The Children's Home of Pittsburgh: A Century of Service and Caring rHV995 .P62 C45 1993