small text medium text large text

Curtis Home for Destitute Women and Girls

Dates:
Established - March 9, 1895
Closed - 1953-1956 ?
Locations:
1st site - 2541 Breckenridge Avenue
2nd site - 1136 Western Avenue (Allegheny City) 1923
3rd site - 208 South Negley Avenue
Also Known As:
Morehead Women's Christian Temperance Union (1895)
Curtis Home for Destitute Women and Girls (1897)
Curtis Home for Women and Children (1904)
Curtis Home for Girls (1933)
The Pittsburgh Foundation
Founder:
Sponsoring Agency:
Notes:
Chartered in 1895 by nine Allegheny City women.
The title name was adopted in 1897.
Temporary home for destitute women and children; non-sectarian.
Later served as a home chiefly for girls from 4-16. (1923)
When the home no longer served its stated purpose in the 1950s, it was closed. The assets were liquidated and a fund was established with The Pittsburgh Foundation. The fund today is designated for similar work as that of the Curtis Home, supporting programs for unwed mothers and providing a place to live for young working women in the City of Pittsburgh.
Location of Records:
Unknown
Sources:
Directory of Institutions in Pennsylvania, 1916. rHV98 .P4 D575 1916 (Locked Case)
Directory of the Philanthropic, Social and Civic Agencies of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, 1928. The Kingsley Association. rHV99 .P65 W48 1928
A Directory of the Social Resources of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, 1943.rHV99 .P65 W48 1943
Story of Old Allegheny City, 1941 p. 91 rqF159 .P66 A45 1994