Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh locations will be closed Memorial Day, Monday, 5/27.
Curtis Home for Women
- Established - 1895
- Closed - 1953-1956 ?
- 1st site - 2541 Breckenridge Avenue
- 2nd site - 1136 Western Avenue (Allegheny City) 1923
- 3rd site - 208 South Negley Avenue
- Also Known As:
- Morehead Women's Christian Temperance Union (1895)
- Curtis Home for Destitute Women and Children
- Curtis Home for Girls (1933)
- Sponsoring Agency:
- Chartered in 1895 by nine Allegheny City women.
- The title name was adopted in 1897.
- Temporary home for destitute women and children; non-sectarian.
- Same as above, but home chiefly for girls from 4-16. (1923)
- Location of Records:
- Directory of the Philanthropic Agencies of the City of Pittsburgh
(1908, 1913, 1917) **(r361 K27)**
- Directory of the Philanthropic, Social and Civic Agencies of the City
of Pittsburgh (1923, 1928) **(r361 K27)**
- 1933 Directory of Social Agencies **(r361 D62)**
- 1943 Directory of Social Resources **(r361 D62)**
- 1953 Community Services Directory **(r361 D62)**
- Story of Old Allegheny City, p. 91 **(rqF159 .P66 A45 1994)