All CLP locations will be closed Tuesday, December 24, Wednesday, December 25 & Wednesday, January 1 for the holidays. The Library will also close at 5 pm on Tuesday, December 31.
Allegheny County Industrial School and
Home for Boys
- Established - 1910
- Closed - 1979
- 1st site - Thorn Hill (Marshall Twp.)
- 2nd site -
- Also Known As:
- Allegheny County Industrial and Training School for Boys
- Thorn Hill School of Allegheny County
- Warrendale Youth Development Center - 1962
- Warrendale Correctional Center
- Sponsoring Agency:
- The aim of the school was to provide useful training for boys under
16 years of age who were turned over to the school by the Juvenile Court.
- County purchased over 1000 acres including the Goehring,
Brooker, Ulrich, Hobson, Amsler, McRoberts, Bannerrot and Edmundson farms.
- Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare took over the facility in 1962.
- Hillman Library has annual reports: HV9105 .P41 A42
- Location of Records:
- PA Department Vertical Files (Youth Centers)