During the Pittsburgh Public School Summer Dreamer's Academy, BLAST visits participating schools once a week for four weeks.
The goals of the summer BLAST program are:
- Extend the children's literacy experience beyond the school year.
- Motivate children to be life long learners and readers.
- Encourage children to visit their local public library.
The BLAST program presents read alouds that are:
- Both fiction and informational.
- Related to the library's Summer Reading Club theme.
Other program components are:
- Rich vocabulary discussion.
- Critical thinking questions.
- A book exchange.
- Summer Reading Club registration.
Research on the Importance of Summer Reading Programs
School Library Journal (November 1, 2010)
"Proof Positive: A new study shows that summer reading programs boost student achievement and combat learning loss"