- Lesson Plans
The lesson plans are monthly themed literacy-rich programs that are offered to Head Start and preschool students. Programs enrich students learning and support teacher instruction by presenting library materials and extension activities that support topics related to the preschool curriculum.
- Parent Spotlight
Supporting parents with topics and techniques to enhance literacy development in their children.
- Teacher Spotlight
Supporting teachers with topics and techniques to enhance the literacy programs with their early learning students.
- Pennsylvania Early Learning Standards
PA Standards the BLAST® Early Learning Program consistently meets.
Since 2005, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's BLAST® Early Learning (Bringing Libraries and Schools Together) School Outreach has brought public library programs and resources into the Preschool and Headstart programs in the city of Pittsburgh. BLAST® Early Learning has responded to the need of methodological support of local preschool and Headstart educators. The purpose of the program is to provide the teachers with diverse techniques for delivering early literacy programs to their young students. The BLAST® Early Learning program gives the preschool teachers examples of how to utilize their local libraries.
The BLAST® Early Learning program was developed through an LSTA grant to enhance the needs of the Supplemental Headstarts served by the Pittsburgh Public Schools. The program's components of quality children's literature, developmentally appropriate learning activities, rich vocabulary, and dialogic reading prepare students to enter Kindergarten and provide a model of best practices for preschool teachers and caregivers.
The BLAST® Early Learning team:
- schedules a minimum of one visit per classroom each month.
- provides a literacy rich experience for both teachers and students through multicultural interactive read-alouds and informational text read-alouds.
- enhances the classroom library by providing new and diverse literature, as well as new vocabulary words to accompany each thematic book.
- provides extension activities and literature recommendations for the teachers.
- provides developmentally appropriate games and activities to be rotated throughout the classrooms.
The purpose of these programs is to:
- provide each classroom with a enriching read-aloud experience.
- provide each classroom with creative and effective activities and vocabulary.
- provide each classroom with an array of literary rich texts.