PITTSBURGH MUSIC - ARCHIVAL MATERIAL
LODE (LOUIS H.) HUYBRECHTS (1911-1973)
- Music manuscripts and published works (7 boxes) - vocal, keyboard, and instrumental.
- Numerous settings of the Mass and other sacred works.
- 12 CDs of Huybrechts' performances and compositions.
Time period 1930 - 1972
Lode (Louis H.) Huybrechts was born in Stabroek (Antwerp) Belgium on August
8, 1911. His musical training and early positions as an organist were in
the same area. He emigrated to the United States and was an organist at
Sacred Heart Cathedral in Rochester, New York. He served the Church of the
Sacred Heart in Pittsburgh, PA as organist and choirmaster from 1960-1971.
He died in Pittsburgh on January 3, 1973.
Pittsburgh Music Archive #12 (7 boxes)
- Arnold, Corliss. Organ Literature: a Comprehensive Survey, Vol. II - rML600.76 1995 vol.2
- Pittsburgh Music Information File
- Link to author entry in online catalog - Huybrechts, Louis
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Music Department has been the recipient of a donation of many of Louis Huybrechts musical manuscripts and published works. This finding list for his scores in our collection is divided into two parts:
- Alphabetical listing of individual titles along with their arrangement (choral, organ, piano, etc.)
- Listing of items bound in folders, notebooks, and journals along with their arrangement.
The majority of the scores in this donation are manuscript copies. In the event of a published version included in addition to the manuscript copy, the entry is marked "published edition also." If only a published edition is included, the entry is marked "published edition only."
|Als’t Lomert||4 voices & piano|
|Ave Maria||STB & organ|
|Ave Maria||SATB & organ|
|Ave Maria (Hail, Mary, full of grace)||SSA|
|Ave verum||S(A)TB & organ|
|Ballade for two pianos||2 pianos|
|Christmas suite||organ (published edition only)|
|Christum regem||2 equal voices & organ|
|Concertino for piano & orchestra||piano & orchestra (includes score & parts and also reduction for two pianos)|
|Confirma hoc||SATB & organ|
|Day of sunshine||treble voices & keyboard|
|Day of sunshine||SATB|
|Drie vorsten kwamen uit ‘t morgenland||soprano solo, SATB, & organ|
|English mass in honor of the blessed Sacrament||congregation and/or choir of two equal voices & organ (published edition also)|
|Fantasia voor groot orgel||organ|
|First noel||organ (published edition only)|
|First strykkwartet||string quartet (includes score & parts)|
|First symphonie voor orgel||organ|
|Fleurs (ballet)||orchestra (includes score & parts & program)|
|Fog||SSA & keyboard|
|Great gate of Kiev from pictures at an exhibition (Moussorgsky)||organ transcription|
|Haec dies||4 voices|
|Hail Mary full of grace||SSA|
|Hodie Christus natus est||2 equal voices & organ (published edition also)|
|Intermezzo (from 1st symphony for organ)||organ|
|Introduction and passacaglia||organ|
|Inviolata||STTBB & organ|
|Iste confessor/in te speravi/tantum ergo||2 voices/solo voice/2 voices & keyboard/organ|
|Jubileum cantata||SATB, harmonium & clavier|
|Mass in honor of Our Lady of Fatima||STB, congregation, & organ (published edition also)|
|Mass in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes||4 mixed voices|
|Mass in honor of St. Anthony of Padua||SAB (T ad libitum) & organ (published edition only)|
|Mass in honor of St. Cecilia||S(A)TB, congregation, & organ (published edition only)|
|Mass in honor of St. Cecilia||TTB & organ (published edition only)|
|Mass in honor of St. Joseph||2 equal or mixed voices, congregation, & organ (published edition only)|
|Mass in honor of the Blessed Virgin||2 equal voice & organ (published edition only)|
|Mass in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary||SA or TB & organ (published edition only)|
|Mass in honor of the Sacred Heart||mixed choir, congregation & organ|
|Mass in honor of the Sacred Heart||unison choir, congregation & organ|
|Mass in honor of the Sacred Heart||SS(A) & organ|
|Mass in memory of Pope John XXIII||TTB & organ|
|Mass of Thanksgiving||TTBB & organ (published edition only)|
|Mis voor 4 gemensde stemmen en orgel (Mass for 4 mixed voices and organ)||SATB & organ|
|Mis voor 4 gemensde stemmen en orgel ter eere van O.L. Vrouw…||SATB & organ|
|Mitzi (Mietje)||SATB & piano|
|Naughty boy||SSA & piano|
|O gloriosa Virginum/O salutaris||2 equal voices & keyboard|
|O praise the Lord||SATB & organ|
|O salutaris/tantum ergo||2 equal voices & keyboard|
|O salutaris (also has study for 3 voices on back page)||SATB & organ|
|Our Father (the Lord’s prayer)||SATB, solo or congregation, & organ or piano|
|Our Father||voices & keyboard|
|Passacaglia on an original theme||organ|
|Prelude and fugue for organ (incomplete: missing pages 1 and 2)||organ|
|Prelude and fugue in e minor||organ (also published edition)|
|Prelude en scherzo voor 2 klavieren||2 pianos|
|Proper for the feast of Christ the King||TTB & organ (published edition only)|
|Proper for the midnight mass of Christmas||2 equal voices & organ (published edition only)|
|Rainy day||SSA & piano|
|Reverie||organ (also published edition)|
|Rhapsody for trombone and piano||trombone & piano (includes score & part)|
|Second symphony for organ||organ|
|See all greet the Infant||SATB & keyboard|
|Sonaat voor viool en clavier||violin & piano (includes score & part)|
|Sonate voor 2 klavieren||2 pianos|
|Sonatina for piano||piano|
|Stars (alone in the night)||SAB|
|Study #3 for SSA||SSA|
|Sub tuum/justorum animae/adeste fideles||SATB|
|Suite – children’s corner||piano|
|Surrexit Christus||3 equal voices & organ (published edition only)|
|Tantum ergo||SATB & organ|
|Ten easy pieces in different keys||piano (published edition only)|
|Ten pedal studies on a well-known melody||organ|
|There will come soft rains (war time)||SSA & piano|
|Third symphony for organ||organ|
|Three bagatelles for piano||piano|
|Three mystieke taferelen voor sopraan en orgel (contains Stabat Mater, Pieta, and Salve Regina)||soprano & organ|
|Toccata voor groot orgel||organ|
|Toccata adagio and fugue||organ|
|To God Almighty we confess/ O King of Might and splendor/Praise the Lord, ye Heavens||voice & keyboard|
|Trio for clavier, violin, and viola (cello)||piano, violin, and viola (cello) (includes score and parts)|
|Two chorale preludes (contains liebster Jesu and dich bet’ich an, meine hochster Gott)||organ|
|Verbum supernum||SATB & organ|
|Vier bewegingenvoor vokaal kwartet||SATB & piano|
|Wals (waltz)||orchestra (includes score & parts)|
|When the frost is on the punkin’||SSA and piano|
|Zanggedicht||SATB & keyboard|
The following is a finding list for various titles by Louis Huybrechts that are bound in folders or notebooks.
Folder I - Grouping of various foreign musical periodicals which contain organ and choral works of Louis Huybrechts. Dates of publication range from 1960-1969.
Folder II - Folder containing manuscript copies of organ works. Note on front of folder indicates "Pedal Studies and Choral Variations."
Folder III - Spiral bound notebook containing manuscript copies
- Six kleine stukken voor clavier (Six small pieces for the piano)
- Three bagatellen (Three bagatelles for piano)
- Six preluden voor clavier (Six preludes for piano)
Folder IV - Spiral bound notebook containing manuscript copies
- Sonaat (piano)
- Sonatine voor clavier (piano)
- Prelude en fuga voor orgel (organ) - According to Belgian pianist and musicologist Jozef DeBeenhouwer, in an email he sent to Huybrechts' son Luke on December 18, 2011, the "Prelude en fuga voor orgel" was composed by Lodewijk De Vocht in 1917. A copy of this work is "in our Antwerp Library." So this is not a composer's manuscript copy.
Folder V - Folder containing manuscript copies
- Suite voor clavier (piano)
- Toccata (piano)
- Studie I (piano)
Folder VI - Folder headed "RADIO N.I.R. (Zender Brussel)" containing various piano pieces
- La jara (tanog)
- Little march
- Little waltz (in memory of Ravel)
- Title unclear
Folder VII - Folder entitled "75 Liederen" containing miscellaneous titles for voice & keyboard, titles arranged alphabetically
Folder VIII - Program for L’Enlevement de proserpine ballet
Un-numbered folders containing the following
- Concertino voor Klavier en Kamer-Orkest - score and parts
- Prelude and scherzo for symphonic orchestra - score and parts
- Sinfonietta for strings - score and parts
- Suite for orchestra- score and parts
- Trio (for oboe, clarinet, and bassoon) - score and parts
- Practische Harmonie - Samuel - harmonic exercises
- Harmonie II - Samuel - harmonic exercises
Folder containing all of the following
- Het kind der lee - score and parts
- De schaduw en de Dood - score and parts
- Three bagatellen - score only
- Vaarwel, Geliefole - score only
Miscellaneous parts and duplicates
The 12 CDs of Huybrechts' organ performances and compositions were donated to the Carnegie Library by Luke Huybrechts, the son of Louis Huybrechts. The CDs are accompanied by letters submitted by Luke Huybrechts detailing the contents of the CDs.The CDs are:
- Organ Performances, vol. 1. Includes a dedicatory concert of a new organ in Rochester, NY in 1956, and an early performance in St. Louis Church in Buffalo, NY, 1952.
- Organ Performances, vol. 2. Includes an organ concert given in Sacred Heart Church in Pittsburgh, 1960.
- Organ Performances, vol. 3. Includes several groups of performances of Huybrechts: a group of "smaller works" performed in the early 1960's at Sacred Heart Church, two earlier performances form St. Louis Church in Buffalo in 1953, and some of Mr. Huybrechts last performances in 1972.
- The Choristers of Sacred Heart, Compilation 1. Three separate groups of performances, the first narrated by Mr. Huybrechts and features 3 of his own works. The second is a rehearsal for the Spring Concert, 1963. Third is a performance of The Spring Concert, 1960.
- The Choristers of Sacred Heart, Compilation 2. Includes recordings of rehearsals of the Choristers for their spring concerts of 1964 and 1970 respectively. They are accompanied and directed by Mr. Huybrechts.
- The Choristers of Sacred Heart, Compilation 3. Includes recordings of rehearsals of the Choristers for their spring concerts of 1971 and for Christmas of 1970. It also includes seven works described as "Girls, Men and Boys Choral" performed in Sacred Heart Church, directed with organ accompaniment by Mr. Huybrechts.
- Sacred Heart Centennial Celebration. Professional recording made by KDKA in 1972 of the 100 year anniversary of the founding of the Sacred Heart Parish. It features an 8 part mass for mixed choirs, written and directed by Louis Huybrechts.
- Christmas at Sacred Heart. A copy of a record produced by Sacred Heart Parish in 1966 with midnight mass excerpts from 1959 and 1962.
- Christmas at Sacred Heart Church, Midnight Mass 1959. Missa Festiva and many seasonal works with combined choirs of Sacred Heart, all directed with organ accompaniment by Louis Huybrechts.
- Piano Works Composed and Performed by Louis Huybrechts. Includes some of the oldest surviving works and performances of Louis Huybrechts, dating back to 1942. Major works include Cantata Bouchout, Sonata for two Pianos, Minuette, Waltz and Rhapsody for Piano.
- Performances at Sacred Heart Church, Missa Choralis and Missa De St. Marguerite. Includes two Sunday Mass performances from May 1963, with Boys and Men's choirs, directed with organ accompaniment by LH
- Performances at Sacred Heart Church, St. Cecilia Mass and Missa St. Clara of Assisi, and a performance of Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 21. Two Sunday Mass performances from 1966, with Boys and Men's choirs, directed with organ accompaniment by Louis Huybrechts. The Mozart piano concerto was performed by Louis Huybrechts' brother, August with the Grand Rapids Philharmonic Orchestra in 1979.