The Hill District: 1913 Homestead Grays
- Caption: "In 1910, 'Cap'
Cumberland W. Posey, organized a group of Homestead steelworkers into what
was to be one of baseball's greatest clubs and gate attractions.
In later years the Homestead Grays, playing at Forbes Field here
and Griffith Stadium in Washington, won eight out of nine Negro
National League titles. Among its stars was the mighty home-run
hitter, Josh Gibson. 'Cum' Posey, an outstanding athlete at
Penn State and Duquesne University, is shown (third from left,
center row) with his 1913 team."
- Notes: Courtesy of Mrs. Cumberland W. Posey.
- About the Homestead Grays on the road.
- Additional photographs of the Grays show the team as it appeared in
1943 and in 1949.
- At The
Great Miniature Railroad and Village,
the Grays forever trail the Crawfords.
- Date: 1913.
- Heading: Pittsburgh. Sports. Baseball.
- #: A182.
- From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department,
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.