small text medium text large text

Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Completes Woods Run Renovation
CLP - Woods Run celebrates grand re-opening August 5th

Press Contact: Suzanne M. Thinnes
Communications Manager
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
412-578-2458
412-688-8609 (fax)
412-491-6889 (cell)

For Immediate Release

(PITTSBURGH, PA- July 19, 2006) Residents of Pittsburgh's North Side will immediately notice a change in their Woods Run library before they even walk through the door. After an eight month renovation that includes the visible addition of large windows to the building's exterior, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - Woods Run is ready to unveil its new look.

A grand re-opening ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, August 5th, from 12 to 3 PM, to celebrate a new chapter in Woods Run's history. Located at 1201 Woods Run Avenue, CLP - Woods Run marks the Library's first North Side renovation. Officials will dedicate the library during a ribbon cutting ceremony at 12:15 PM followed by refreshments and activities.

Prior to the renovations, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh worked with local community organizations, civic groups and residents on the $2 million project to create a library that meets the needs of the community. Architect Karen Loysen of Loysen + Kreuthmeier is responsible for CLP - Woods Run's distinctive look. Loysen's plans called for the removal of the building's brick walls in favor of large windows that transform the library's exterior and infuse the library with sunlight, making it more welcoming. Designated Teen and Children's areas, an interior design that showcases a centralized Customer Service area, and the first drive-through book drop in CLP's system are other integral design features.

"Due to its centralized location Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - Woods Run attracts many customers from surrounding communities," said Dr. Barbara Mistick, Director, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. "The idea of a drive-through book drop emerged during the planning stage of the renovation process as a convenient means for customers to return materials during their daily commute."

Constructed in 1963, CLP - Woods Run is the sixth facility to be renovated or relocated through the Library's Capital Improvements Program. Hours of operation for CLP - Woods Run are the same as before the renovations. Customers are encouraged to visit www.carnegielibrary.org for specific operating times and to obtain the latest event information.


About Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
"Free to the People" since 1895

Established as a public trust in 1895, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh serves the citizens of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County with a distinguished history of leadership among the country's great public libraries. Through its Main Library, 17 neighborhood locations and the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is the region's most visited asset, welcoming over 2.2 million customers last year. Each year the Library provides more than 6,000 free programs, classes and other learning and training opportunities that are tailored to meet the dynamic and diverse needs of people living in Western Pennsylvania.
www.carnegielibrary.org